Forum Title: Spontaneous Combustion
Thought I'd share this photo of a spontaneous combustion incident involving the use of Duraseal Quick Coat. I always educate employees on the dangers of spontaneous combustion when working with solvent based materials. In this instance we were staining some interior tongue and groove material with a wiping stain/sealer product by Duraseal. Each worker had a bucket that towels were placed in which they kept with them at all times. Every half hour one employee was assigned to collect the towels, placing them in an air tight transportation container with water to be properly disposed of. Upon collecting the towels and walking towards the container, the plastic bag started smoldering, bursting into flames. It can happen that quickly, only other painting contractors I know weren't so lucky.
Category: Painter Post By: TOMMY FOWLER (Conway, AR), 07/23/2019

I take my rags, and spread them out on dirt or other non-flammable surface to dry, then stick them in a bucket of water. Its when they are wadded up that they ignite. If I dont have a place to spread them out safely, they go straight into the water bucket. I posted a pictuer not too long ago here about the front door I placed outside, and some other painting company was staining outside. After I left, the homeowner saw 7' flames coming from the door. Damn near took out the house, and most likely the wooded 10 acres it was sitting on too. Scary stuff. Heres something else noone thinks about: I woke up one morning, and the shirt I was wearing the day before when I was spraying stain on boards, was charred and black in a corner of my bedroom...

- JOHN JOHNSON (Austin, TX), 08/21/2019

Remodeling Resources & Links For Homeowners

requestaquote Get Free Quotes callnow 888-506-9527